The Products are not intended for or directed to persons under the age of 13, and we will not knowingly collect information from such persons. Any person who provides information to us through registration or in any other manner through its use of the Products represents to Avere that they are 13 years of age or older. If we learn that a child under 13 has submitted personal information to us, we will attempt to delete the information as soon as possible.
Collection of Information
We also automatically receive and record information on our server logs from your browser, including your IP address, cookie information (as described below) and the page you request.
We also obtain data from third parties. We protect data obtained from third parties according to the practices described in this statement, plus any additional restrictions imposed by the source of the data. These third-party sources vary over time, but have included:
- Data brokers from which we receive demographic data to supplement the data we collect.
- Social networks when you grant permission to an Avere to access your data on one or more networks.
- Partners with which we offer co-branded services or engage in joint marketing activities, and
- Publicly-available sources such as open government databases or other data in the public domain.
The data we collect depends on the context of your interactions with Avere, the choices you make, including your privacy settings, and the products and features you use. The data we collect can include the following:
- Name and contact data. We collect your first and last name, email address, postal address, phone number, and other similar contact data.
- Organization data. When a customer engages with an Avere sales representative, we collect information about the customer’s organization, to support that engagement.
- Demographic data. We collect data about you such as your age, gender, country, and preferred language.
- Payment data. We collect data necessary to process your payment if you make purchases, such as your payment instrument number (such as a credit card number), and the security code associated with your payment instrument.
- Device and Usage data. We collect data about your device and how you and your device interact with Microsoft and our products. For example, we collect:
- Product use data. We collect data about the features you use, the items you purchase, and the web pages you visit. This data includes your voice and text search queries or commands to Bing, Cortana, and our chat bots. This also includes the settings you select and the software configurations you use most.
- Device, connectivity and configuration data. We collect data about your device and the network you use to connect to our products. It includes data about the operating systems and other software installed on your device, including product keys. It also includes IP address, device identifiers (such as the IMEI number for phones), regional and language settings.
- Error reports and performance data. We collect data about the performance of the products and any problems you experience with them. This data helps us to diagnose problems in the products you use, and to improve our products and provide solutions. Depending on your product and settings, error reports (sometimes called “crash dumps”) can include data such as the type or severity of the problem, details of the software or hardware related to an error, contents of files you were using when an error occurred, and data about other software on your device.
- Troubleshooting and Help Data. When you engage Microsoft for troubleshooting and help, we collect data about you and your hardware, software, and other details related to the incident. Such data includes contact or authentication data, the content of your chats and other communications with Microsoft, data about the condition of the machine and the application when the fault occurred and during diagnostics, and system and registry data about software installations and hardware configurations.
Some of the pages on the Site or other Products may contain "cookies." A cookie is a small data file that may be sent to your Web browser and stored on your computer and similar technologies to provide our websites and online services and to help collect data. The text in a cookie often consists of a string of numbers and letters that uniquely identifies your computer, but it can contain other information as well. This allows our server to "recognize" you when your computer visits the Site or other Products in the future. We also use web beacons to help deliver cookies and gather usage and performance data. Our websites may include cookies from third-party service providers. Most Web browsers can be configured to not accept cookies, or to notify you if a cookie is sent to you. In some instances, Avere may collect non-Personally Identifiable Information (aggregate or demographic data) through cookies. Avere may share the use of its cookies according to the Information Sharing and Disclosure section.
Avere uses Personally Identifiable Information for several general purposes:
- to support Avere Products,
- to provide you with information about the Products you use,
- to contact you for feedback about Avere Products,
- to conduct research about Avere or Avere Products,
- to notify you of technical updates or changes in policy, or
- to perform essential business operations.
Avere uses Personally Identifiable Information collected from the site for additional purposes:
- to provide you with Product information, demos, and news,
- to contact you for marketing and promotional purposes.
You may opt out of the use of information collected from the Site for these purposes.
We may use non-Personally Identifiable Information such as demographic data to further improve the Products. This includes operating the products, maintaining and improving the performance of the products, developing new features, conducting research, and providing customer support.
Communications. We use data we collect to communicate with you and personalize our communications with you. For example, we may contact you by phone or email or other means to inform you when a subscription is ending, discuss your licensing account, let you know when security updates are available, remind you about items left in your online shopping cart, update you or inquire about a service or repair request, invite you to participate in a survey, or tell you that you need to take action to keep your account active.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
- when we have your consent to share the information.
- if sharing the information is reasonably necessary to provide a Product that you have requested (if your information is shared with third parties we will only provide the information reasonably needed to deliver the service, and require that such companies do not use your information for any other purpose).
- if we believe in good faith that we are required to do so by law, in connection with litigation, to prevent a crime, or to protect personal safety, the public, or the Products.
- in connection with a sale or merger with another entity or if Avere should ever file for bankruptcy or have its assets sold to another entity.
Avere may also share non-Personally Identifiable Information with third parties.
Avere retains personal data for as long as necessary to provide the products and fulfill the transactions you have requested, or for other essential purposes such as complying with our legal obligations, resolving disputes, and enforcing our agreements. Because these needs can vary for different data types, actual retention periods can vary significantly. The criteria used to determine the retention periods include:
- How long is the personal data needed to provide the products and operate our business? This includes such things as maintaining and improving the performance of those products, keeping our systems secure, and maintaining appropriate business and financial records. This is the general rule that establishes the baseline for most data retention periods.
- Do customers provide, create, or maintain the data with the expectation we will retain it until they affirmatively remove it?
- Is there an automated control, that enables the customer to access and delete the personal data at any time?
- Is the personal data of a sensitive type?
- Has Avere adopted and announced a specific retention period for a certain data type?
- Has the user provided consent for a longer retention period?
- Are we subject to a legal, contractual, or similar obligation to retain the data?
You may correct, amend, or delete your Personally Identifiable Information by contacting us at http://www.averesystems.com/about-us/contact-us.
We are committed to protecting Personally Identifiable Information from loss, misuse, disclosure, alteration, unauthorized access, and destruction. Avere takes reasonable precautions to safeguard the confidentiality of Personally Identifiable Information. While we strive to protect your Personally Identifiable Information, we cannot ensure the security of the information you transmit to us in all cases.
Third Party Sites
The Products may contain links to other sites. Avere is not responsible for the privacy practices of such other sites. We encourage our users to be aware when leaving the Products to read the privacy statements of each site that collects Personally Identifiable Information.
Personally Identifiable Information collected through the Products may be stored and processed in the United States or any other country in which Avere or its affiliates, subsidiaries or agents maintain facilities, and by using the Products, you consent to any such transfer of information outside of your country. Avere primarily stores information in the United States. We use our affiliates for data storage and retention, when we do, the data transfers occur according to the policies of our affiliates.
Preview or Free of Charge Releases
Avere offers preview, insider, beta or other free-of-charge products and features ("previews") to enable you to evaluate them while providing feedback, including performance and usage data, to both Avere. As a result, previews can automatically collect additional data, provide fewer controls, and otherwise employ different privacy and security measures than those typically present in our products. If you participate in previews, we may contact you about your feedback or your interest in continuing to use the product after general release.
In the event of a conflict between this privacy statement and the terms of any agreement(s) between a customer and Avere, the terms of those agreement(s) will control.
Avere Systems, Inc.
910 River Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15212